Friday, August 6, 2010

Here is to the death of tolerance and political correctness...

This blog was originally written August 6, 2010...

So I am a Resident Assistant, and over the last week we have been in training to better understand our roles as RAs. Today we had a session on diversity. I caution looking at diversity as it pertains solely to race. Diversity comes in many different sections and pockets and ones that we don't often think of. This particular session we had these really interesting conversations and activities. I am normally extremely cautious during these conversations because depending on the dynamic I am most often looked to to answer some of the questions on diversity. It is often assumed that because I am a person of color that I am going to know "the meaning of diversity." Part of my uneasiness with these conversations is that I often think that I will be perceived as the "angry Black woman," or the person who constantly has to make things about race etc.
But let me give you a little more background on me, I am sure by the other blogs you have read covering this topic that I do have an opinion on certain race standards in this country and I guess in this world. I do not expect that everyone is going to be "color blind" and "stereotype blind" either. I understand that we are often a product of our environments and that there are many opportunities for growth and development. But I do think that there is a lot that we need to do in order to prepare for this sort of development and one of those techniques is to be open for dialogue.
However, as I mentioned in at least one of these blogs on this topic, in the United States it seems that because of the history of race relations we can't figure out a way to come to the table and have an open and honest conversation about race,difference and diversity, which is inclusive and not one sided.
What sparked my thoughts down the diversity "track" is a video we watched during training called "What would you do?" Apparently this ABC TV show has everyday individuals confront their own biases and stereotypes by a created and often elevated scenarios. For the purposes of our discussion on diversity we watched this video in training. In this particular segment the stereotypes stemmed from "controversy" behind Gay couples. An "undercover" Gay couple was planted into a Bar to test (in many ways) the mindset of the people who utilize this bar. Many of the bar patrons defended the couple when they were being ostracized by another planted actor to irritate the situation.
During part of the evaluation of the scenario, a woman interviewed said that Americans have become more "tolerant" of the differences of people. But I wonder if tolerance needs to be placed in the same category as "political Correctness(pc)?" In the late 90's into the turn of the century, Americans have tried to embody this idea of a "post" Society, whether it has been a "post- racial" society or something else. I think that part of the "political correct" phenomenon is that often being "pc" was inserted without a real understanding. Sentences like " Let me be Politically Correct by saying..." or parents telling kids that it's not "pc" to call a person "xyz" (sorry any of the words that I could insert here are words that I am don't want to say). I think for me the uncomofrtablity I have about being "pc" and being seen as "tolerant" is the fact that we just insert these "" statements wherever we find necessary without really understanding why it is that these phrases or comments can be offensive. And then I guess to pull out the "angry Black woman" these "" terms seem to also fall into those "well I have a Black friend," statements and sort of leave room for a cover to being able to "get away" with certain things and certain language. In public we are "pc" but in private we are still working out our issues. I think in many respects this "pc" and "tolerance" language is only a band aid for a much bigger problem.
Let's look at the most recent examples of the why I think we still have a long way to go: Rev. Jeremiah Wright (President Obama's former Reverend) caught under fire for his sermons which had been detrimental to Obama's campaign. During the Health Care Bill fight- Congressmen and women were being called the N-word by outraged community members and were being told that they were playing into the Democratic relationship with Civil Rights history and "playing the race card." These are things that are scary, how are we not able to have these conversations without throwing out concerns and accusations that every time something happens it turns into people being too sympathetic or rather certain populations are looked at as throwing out the "race card" too often. And for me that is the problem- if we can't talk about these issues that affect us and why they affect us without being programmed to think that in some way it is wrong, how can we be post race, or post-anything? We are far from it and we have a long way to go until we are able to openly have this discussion.
I do not think that having an open and honest conversation about the issues that concern us can cause any harm. I think what it does is open up a space of understanding. People in general do not have to get along, but what does happen is that there is a space created with a deeper level of understanding than has been given before.
I think that there is a lot of growth in conversations and in asking questions. I think that there is more harm than making assumptions than there is in asking uncomfortable questions.
Do I have a solution for these issues? I think for starters levels of civility and curiosity need to begin during childhood. Children need to learn the differences of other people early on. I think that we need to be a country that allows more room for ques tons, much ignorance comes from a lack of understanding, and if we provide our children with the space to question their surroundings I think it will go a long way.
This is an ongoing debate. I think it has to be, and there will be many more blogs that I will use to develop these thoughts, but I just wanted to share this brief moment with you now.
Take a moment, let it marinate and tell me what you think. Change starts here!

No comments:

Post a Comment