Thursday, June 17, 2010

Another day of police brutality...

I heard about this story by a friend last night at dinner. However, I didn't see the video until this morning after another friend posted it on FB. Although, the story begins with an Officer addressing a "jaywalking" incident, I don't think that it needed to end like this at all. However, we do not know what sparked the start of this footage. Whether it was something that was started because the girls were being "verbally antagonistic" or whatever the case may be. I definitely do not agree with the actions taken. If someone is being "verbally antagonistic" to an officer does that mean that the officer has the right to arrest the young ladies? And the way it seems, the officer didn't try at all to explain to these young girls what they were being arrested for. And secondly where was backup, if this was an arrest shouldn't there have been another officer present or something. I think it got way to out of hand. From what I hear from the video, the officer never explained why he was arresting the girl, or that he had intended to arrest the girl until after he had slugged her cousin. And is it necessary to hit the cousin like that, I mean the young girl is screaming for him to let her go and instead of taking better control of the situation he gets more aggressive and violent.
Juvenile Justice is an issue that really gets a rise out of me, and the way in which our police officers act towards certain individuals also bothers me. There are better ways to handle this situation. I would like to see what comes out about this in the next couple of weeks. Regardless the girls were taken into custody and the charge might be "resisting arrest" which was never clear that that was what the officer intended to do in the first place.
But don't take my word for it, look at this video:

No comments:

Post a Comment